Trip Planner Help
The Online Trip Planner shows you step-by-step how to reach your destination using buses, MAX Light Rail, WES Commuter Rail and the Portland Streetcar. Just tell us where you're starting and where you're going, and we'll do the rest.
Your customized trip itinerary will show you:
- which bus or train to catch
- when and where to board
- when and where to transfer, if necessary
- how long your trip will take
- how much fare is required
- walking directions to and from your stop(s)
- any current detours or service disruptions
- maps of your origin and destination
- Stop ID numbers for each boarding stop/station on your trip
Trip Planner itineraries are estimates based on the vehicle's average speed and the distance between major stops. Service may be affected by traffic, construction, accidents or weather conditions. Before you leave, call 503-238-RIDE (7433) or visit trimet.org to get real-time TransitTracker™ arrival information and updates on any current service alerts.
You may type in a location as an address, intersection, landmark or Stop ID Number:
|4012 SE 17th|
|Naito Parkway & Porter|
|Clackamas Town Center|
Stop ID Number
TIP: It is not necessary to specify a city, state or ZIP code. In some cases, the Trip Planner is more likely to recognize an address if you do not specify a city.
Travel now: The current date and time are automatically filled in when you visit the Trip Planner page. If you are ready to take your trip now and you want to catch the earliest bus or train, use the current time.
Travel later: Or, if you want to take your trip at a specific time, check the "Depart after" radio button and choose the time you want using the drop-down menus. You can plan a trip up to two weeks in advance. If you would like to arrive at your destination at a specific time, check the "Arrive by" radio button and choose a different time.
On the Advanced Trip Planner page, you can specify the kind of trip you want: You can request the trip that is the quickest, has the fewest transfers or requires the least walking. You can also specify how far you are willing to walk (up to 1 mile). The Trip Planner on the homepage assumes you want the quickest trip and can walk up to 1/2 mile.
What kind of trip?
- Choose "quickest" if you want the shortest possible travel time and you don't mind transferring between buses or trains and walking a short distance. (This is the default selection.) The quickest trips often use a combination of buses and trains.
- Choose "fewest transfers" if you prefer not to transfer between buses or trains to reach your destination. This option may result in a longer travel time.
- Choose "least walking" if you prefer to walk as little as possible. This option may result in more transfers and/or a longer travel time.
How far are you able to walk?
The default maximum walking distance is 1/2 mile (about 10 city blocks in downtown Portland). You can specify a different walking distance (up to 1 mile) from the drop-down menu on the Advanced Trip Planner page.
On your trip itinerary, Option 1 represents your "best bet" based on the trip preferences you specified. Option 2 is often a good alternative, but might require a longer travel time or more transfers. To see more trip options, click the "More trip options" link at the bottom.
If you are not satisfied with the trip options provided, try adjusting the time of your trip by a few minutes earlier or later. Or, if possible, increase the walking distance. In some cases, you might even get there faster.
No results? Too few results? There may not be service running at the time or day you specified. (Most bus lines have less-frequent service late at night and on weekends.) If possible, try planning your trip with a different time and/or day.
TIP: Experienced TriMet riders know that the best transit trips often combine bus with MAX, WES and/or Streetcar.
If you want personal assistance planning your trip, please call TriMet Customer Service at 503-238-RIDE (7433), 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. weekdays. We're happy to help.
Having problems? Use our Trip Planner Technical Support Form.